Reading Time: 3 minutes
You can use YouTube PIP on iPhone for free without the need for a subscription to the premium service. In this article, we will explain how to use the YouTube PIP feature for free on your iPhone.
Apple offers its users an inbuilt picture in picture feature with the iPhone’s operating system. Though some of the apps don’t support this feature, in the case of YouTube this feature supports only the premium version.
No need to get disheartened as with a few tweaks you will be able to use this feature.
Google introduced Music Key back in 2014 to offer ad-free music videos featured on YouTube, later this expanded to all videos. Soon the YouTube Red made an appearance followed by YouTube Premium. The premium YouTube is good for users who love an ads-free experience on YouTube with a monthly fee of $12. This service offers access to original movies and series and the content can be downloaded for offline viewing and listening. This now also includes the feature for YouTube Premium iPhone users to PIP with the YouTube app.
The feature allows users to enable full-screen mode while playing video and swipe up from the bottom of the screen to switch to PIP mode. In the case of iPhone users simply press the home button, a quick press and release of this physical button will cause the video to shrink and move to a corner. Though the users will be required to load YouTube in ‘Desktop’ mode for this to work.
How To Use YouTube PIP On iPhone For Free?
- Open YouTube’s website in iPhone’s Safari browser.
- Request the desktop version by opening the View menu. Tap the icon, located at the left of the search bar, that looks like two capital ‘A’ letters, one smaller and one larger in size.
- Selecting ‘Request Desktop Website’ to reload in a layout intended for larger screens.
- Using two fingers zoom in and out as needed to find the right video and expand it to full screen. Swipe up from the bottom or a tap of the home button will enter PIP for the YouTube video.
- You can drag the small video player to any corner of the screen and use the other apps and websites while the video and sound keep playing.
You can access the playback controls at the bottom and the upper corners. Use them to expand to full-screen or to close PIP player. The PIP feature is available with iOS 14 onwards and works with sites such as YouTube, Twitch, Vimeo, and more. Many popular apps include PIP in their iPhone app, though YouTube is currently offering it only via its YouTube Premium subscription.
We may in the future get to see this feature available for anyone using the YouTube app. Till then all iPhone users can continue to enjoy the PIP mode via the desktop mode and Safari’s PIP mode.
Follow my blog with Bloglovin