When the Twitter Circle was first released in the U.S. those who were lucky enough to find it, found that it is a private-only Twitter account in which you can share a tweet with people of your choice.
This article will go over the basics of Twitter Circle. We will explain what it is, how to set it up and how to tweet to your own Twitter Circle.
New Twitter Circle Feature
You can set a limited audience for your tweet by using Twitter Circle. There are some things you should know about these Circles before using them.
The maximum number of people in one Circle is 150 and you can add anyone to your circle, even people who don’t follow you.
Circle allows you to maintain lists of specific contacts. Adding people and removing them is done in one fell swoop.
Twitter Circles can be public or private. Any replies to Circle members will not show up in the hub conversation and we won’t see the reply unless they are also connected to us on Twitter.
The people in your Circle will be able to screenshot or download your Circle tweets.
If you block another user on Twitter, they can’t see your posts or request to follow you again. If you unblock this person later, they don’t have to wait until you follow them before adding you back to their tweets.
Muting works for Twitter Circle, but there’s a workaround.
It’s easy to be left out of a Circle if you aren’t notified, but the Tweets themselves mention that only those in your circle can see them.
Setting up Twitter Circle on Desktop Web
You’ll have to set up your Twitter Circle before you can tweet to it. The following instructions show you how to do so via Twitter’s desktop website.
- Open your web browser and go to Twitter.com and log in if you have already done so.
- Go to the sidebar menu on the left side of your screen and select More.
- From the menu that appears, select Twitter Circle.
- You should now see the Edit your Twitter Circle screen. If you select the Recommended tab, you will be able to see recommended accounts to add to your circles.
If you want to add a specific Twitter user as your “Circle” member, type the name of that user on the Add button. If you want to add someone from a populated list, click the Add button. Once you add someone to the Twitter Circle the Add Button turns into a Remove Button
- To see a list of those users you added to your Circle, click on the Twitter Circle tab located on the “Edit your Twitter” screen.
Learn how to tweet to your Circle in the Desktop Web Browser
There are two ways to share content on Twitter: you can use their webpage or app. If you want to tweet through their webpage, here’s how to do that.
- Go to Twitter.com and log into your account.
- To use the Twitter app, you can either tap the What’s happening? box on the upper left side of your screen where it says “press HQ for feeds” or hit the big tweet button on this side of your screen. Either method will open up a composer to enter your tweet.
- Select the Everyone drop-down menu option.
- Choose Twitter Circle from the Create Tweet window. You can use Twitter’s Circle to send your tweets as you would any other tweet.
How to set up your Twitter Circle on the iPhone?
If you are not satisfied with the Twitter Circle software, then you can follow these mobile app techniques to get a more efficient version.
Include things you might want to know about creating a Twitter Circle
There is an option in iOS that you might be able to reach via the drop-down selections in Tweet composer.
- To modify a circle, move to the Recommended tab at the top of the list.
- When you click on this tab, you have two options: Search people or just do a list of recommended followers. Regardless of how you add them to your Circle, they will follow the correct button.
- To see who you’ve added so far, select the Twitter Circle tab on the Edit your Twitter Circle screen.
- To save your people, tap the back arrow. Setting up a Timeline is really easy.
How to limit who sees your tweets on iOS?
Get a breakdown of how to tweet to your Circle from the mobile app
Now that you have set up a Twitter Circle, you should start tweeting to it. To do so from a mobile app, follow these steps:
- Open the app on your phone and then tap on the plus sign button.
- From the menu, select Tweet. Anyone on an iPhone: Skip step 2 and go to step 3.
- After performing these steps, you will be looking at the public tweet composer screen. On this screen, select the drop-down menu to the says Public.
How to change who sees your Twitter updates?
Learn how to use the Twitter Circle feature to alter who sees your tweets.
After you are finished composing your tweet, you will be taken back to the composer. Your audience will then be shown as “Twitter Circle.”
To tweet, type your tweet and then select the Tweet button.