GETTR – Twitter-style platform hacked on launch day as half-million sign-up. Jason Miller, a senior adviser of former US President Trump on Sunday launched the social media site, while more than 500000 people registered the site was briefly hacked.
Earlier Miller teased the Trump team’s plans to start a new social media platform for months following moves by Twitter (TWTR.N) and other sites to block the former president after the Jan. 6 riot where his supporters stormed the Capitol.
GETTR is identical to Twitter with posts and trending topics and advertises itself as a non-biased social network for people across the world on Google and Apple app stores.
Miller in an email statement to Reuters said, “The problem was detected and sealed in a matter of minutes, and all the intruder was able to accomplish was to change a few user names.”
Several GETTR profiles on Twitter were posted with screenshots by a writer for Salon, including posts from Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and Miller himself, that were altered to read “JubaBaghdad was here, follow me on Twitter :)”.
Miller reassured me the situation has been rectified after being questioned about security on the new social media.
Steve Bannon has described GETTR being a “Twitter Killer” in a post on the new social media site.
Trump has been banned on various social media platforms such as Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube until at least 2023, and the risks of violence have decreased.
While talking to Fox News earlier this week, Miller said he hoped Trump joined the platform, though the president was considering a number of options. He also made it clear Trump was not funding the platform.