If you are looking to set up a USB modem on Linux it can be tricky, but you don’t need to worry as we’ve got you covered. This article will explain how to set up a USB modem on Linux.
How to Set Up USB Modem on Linux?
Switching over from Windows operating system to Linux can be precarious. With Windows installing a USB modem can be pretty straightforward, all you need to do is connect the USB modem to your computer, you will be prompted to install the necessary drivers. Everything is pretty much self-explanatory.
When it comes to Linux is it not all that straightforward. While trying to install a USB Modem on Ubuntu Linux it does not ask for a driver as in Windows and you need to execute a few commands and get the task done.
Not all USB Modems come with Linux drivers, this means they will not properly work on Linux. We will walk you through this article and you will be able to install the USB modem flawlessly on your Ubuntu Linux system.
- Connect the USB modem to the USB port on the computer.
- The USB device will be detected and displayed as a “New Mobile Broadband Connection” notification.
- Click the network (WiFi) icon in the system tray.
- A dropdown menu will appear that has “Edit Connections” between the menu items.
- Click the “Edit Connections” option. It will open a window that shows you all the existing connections you have on the machine.
- On the right side of the window, Click the “Add” button. This allows you to add a new connection.
- Select “Mobile Broadband” from the dropdown field, followed by the “Create” button.
- Select your USB modem, it will detect it, and on the next screen and click the “Continue” button.
- You will need to select your country and region on the next screen and click the “Continue” button.
- Next screen shows the number of Internet Service Providers available in your region. Select the correct Internet Service Provider you are using with your modem and click the “Continue” button.
- Select your plan and click “Continue” and save your connection.
We have tried to explain to you as clearly as we can, if you have any doubts or confusion feel free to write in the comments section. Do share and follow us to know more tips and tricks to make your digital experience easier.