To meet the expectations of your customers, it is important to keep track of their software and make sure that it’s performing properly. Several APM monitoring tools help with the automation of testing and deployment, as well as application tracking.
The use of these APM monitoring tools helps overcome performance bottlenecks in an application, allowing businesses to easily monitor the situation and prevent users from having negative experiences. A number of such tools available can make decision-making difficult for IT teams to find and select the most appropriate solution for their company.
APM Monitoring Tools
Application Performance Monitoring (APM) tools are designed to track and report application performance metrics. They automate the process of understanding the state of an application by monitoring parameters that provide insights into performance and taking necessary actions, such as automated software updates, to maintain optimal customer experience.
APM monitoring tools can be used to analyze digital experiences, identify processes on the website, and finds out the errors in the application. They also help to improve user experience by ensuring that there is a continuous flow of data coming from the end device.
These monitoring tools enable DevOps to identify and troubleshoot issues with their application by pinpointing performance problems on a dashboard.
Best APM monitoring tools 2022
Dynatrace is a popular APM solution that uses AI to provide real-time insight into the operational state of user applications.
Dynatrace monitors transactions at the code level, allowing teams to get a detailed performance report. Dynatrace is available in Node.js, Java, .NET, and PHP.
Dynatrace also enhances app performance with prediction and resolution before they wreak havoc. Dynatrace supports scalability goals and is compatible with 600 platforms, making it likely to work well with any company’s needs.
The tool offers a 15-day free trial and an affordable pricing tier for any business size.
- Provides multi-platform and language support.
- It supports end-to-end monitoring down to the code level.
- The power of artificial intelligence (AI) facilitates the use of issue prediction.
- Provides on-point business analytics reports from app performance to improve user experience.
- Provides a collaborative space for development, operations, and security (DevSecOps) teams to function efficiently.
- Configured to provide continuous automation and optimization of app performance.
DatadogDatadog, a robust application monitoring system with analytic and security solutions, offers IT teams insight into key performance indicators.
It unifies performance monitoring for servers, applications, and clouds. It gives you everything you need to make sure you’re meeting business goals.
Datadog provides a clear picture of everything that is happening in the technology stack. In doing so, Datadog provides log management, security monitoring, synthetic monitoring, and real-user monitoring with network monitoring.
Datadog is an APM tool that can be used by any size organization to engineer their cloud migration, collaborative application monitoring across different platforms, security monitoring and cloud migration.
You can try Datadog out for free, and the prices are determined by what you need. For example, business owners get to choose between different packages that fulfill their pressing needs. Businesses can choose flexible solutions such as database monitoring, incident management, CI (continuous integration) visibility, app security monitoring and application load monitoring.
- Datadog offers continuous profiling, which helps businesses gain code-level visibility into metrics like CPU performance, memory usage, and response time, highlighting the components that consume the most resources.
- The use of artificial intelligence leverages to auto-detect issues in applications and reduce the error rates.
- It supports key technology integrations with over 400 platforms and tools for better metrics aggregation and reporting.
- Tag-based searches enable easy search completion on complex infrastructure.
Dotcom-MonitorDotcom-Monitor uses artificial intelligence capabilities to gain insight into the end-user experience and how it impacts business goals.
The APM tool monitors every app performance metric, enabling users to get a lot of information on the dashboard. The data is displayed in a human-readable format so readers can understand it easily.
You can get started with a free trial and contact Dotcom-Monitor’s customer service team for pricing information.
- Offers real-time performance monitoring for web pages, API, and web applications.
- The tool supports the creation of scripts that can reveal key business web transactions such as logins, signup, and shopping carts.
- Dotcom-Monitor supports the creation of filters to reduce the incidence of false alerts.
- You can integrate it with popular tools like Asana, Salesforce, and BMC.
- It also features app performance monitoring schedules to include or exclude times for monitoring.
AppDynamics is one of the best APM tools powered by Cisco, with a growing list of new features to meet the demands of businesses needing a better view of their app performance.
The tool uses logs and performance indicators and integrates them with IT teams to identify any problems.
AppDynamics offers IT teams tools to easily move from on-premises to the cloud. Users can have access to real-time information in such a scenario enabling them to know what’s going on with their applications for better business outcomes.
The solution addresses all issues across the entire application stack, enabling the DevOps teams to focus on the most important business critical issues.
AppDynamics provides three tiers of service. The higher the tier, the more you can see in terms of app performance monitoring.
- AppDynamics works with other solutions such as Docker, Node.js, ADO.NET, Python, and Apache.
- The application offers automated error detection and AI-powered root cause analysis.
- It supports hybrid environment monitoring.
- It can easily integrate with other leading technology solutions.
- The cognitive engine backed by machine learning allows it to automate error detection.
Instana is an APM tool that is most suitable for large business enterprises. It analyzes every event of your application in real-time and helps to find problems quickly.
Instana is an APM solution that doesn’t require DevOps to configure scripts. Instead, the app provides a more efficient approach without any blind spots.
Instana recognizes changes in releases and will warn IT teams of any negative impact updates may have to the organization. If they see anomalies or compatibility issues, they’ll alert the team so they can decide whether or not a patch needs to be released.
Anyone can make a 14-day free trial, and for those interested in continuing to use the tool, there are two payment options available: software-as-a-service (SaaS) or self-hosted.
- The tool allows users to cut off app services they do not wish to measure. Offering the ability to focus on the services that matter most to their business.
- Instana solution has a dependency mapping capability which makes it easy for DevOps to understand how various components in the application interrelate to affect or improve performance.
- As the tool automatically integrates with top cloud platforms such as AWS MSK Monitoring, Amazon EMR, Azure Observability and Monitoring, and more, there is no need for countless plug-ins
- Instana is powered by AI-boosted troubleshooting for better incident prediction and resolution of issues.
Scout is an APM tool that runs on Python and other programming languages. Scout uses performance monitoring to find and trace the lines of code causing bottlenecks in your application infrastructure.
Scout tool provides back-end insights for IT teams. For example, when Scout is integrated with server-side languages, it can monitor application performance.
You can try Scout and their pricing plans with a 14-day free trial.
- Scout supports an intelligent alerting system that draws attention to any application defects.
- Enables easy identification of slow data queries and N+1 Queries.
- Scout provides intuitive dashboards that provide visibility into user requests and paths.
- Issues within an application are directly tied to endpoints.
LogicMonitor is a user-friendly tool that can be used by entities of all sizes. With its observability features, LogicMonitor helps identify issues related to application latency and probing user experience bottlenecks. The platform also supports hybrid and multi-cloud environments and promotes team collaboration in order to eliminate silos.
It is an intelligent AI that quickly finds and provides solutions to come complicated application issues.
There are two pricing models for LogicMonitor. One of the Pro version is for hybrid monitoring, and the Enterprise version includes full observability.
- LogicMonitor is built on OpenTelemetry and OpenMetrics monitoring frameworks.
- It helps eliminate situations that lead to writing complex scripts for cloud and container monitoring.
- The tool offers intelligent insights that record and upload transactions.
- LogicMonitor supports an alerting system for traces.
Raygun is a popular APM product that can be deployed on the server side in various languages. It is integrated with other popular developer software such as Bitbucket, GitLab, Jira, GitHub, and more.
Raygun has a dashboard that can tell you what is going wrong and which line of action to take. It collects crash reporting and real user monitoring data, as well as works with app performance indicators.
Raygun helps develop and debug software applications by monitoring their performance on an ongoing basis. You get deep insights about server-side performance as well as various integrations with popular IDE’s.
Raygun can tackle your most challenging quality issues, such as crashes and UX. It’s a tool for both developers and product managers. The Raygun dashboard provides visibility into user experience indicators, so you can make adjustments quickly.
Raygun offers 14-day free trials, but you need to contact the company for pricing details. Further, you can contact their support team to purchase Raygun services.
- Offers a customizable dashboard that displays user session traffic and performance timings.
- Empowers DevOps teams to measure the impact of app optimizations on applications in real-time.
- Integration of the tool with Azure Repos, Bitbucket, and GitHub makes it easy for developers to view errors in their code repositories.
- It allows custom app performance optimizations to match end-user demands.
APM monitoring tools Features to Watchout
Development team leaders, software engineers, and software testers should take note of these APM monitoring features for their projects:
- Ability to carry out impact and causative analysis of application performance to facilitate the resolution of issues in the application.
- Able to automate the integration of other third-party software to accommodate evolving infrastructure.
- Able to handle the end-to-end observability of transactional behavior in the application to reveal how these transactions affect user experience.
- Able to mount real-time and automatic discovery and mapping of application components for easy discovery and resolution of application bottlenecks.
- Support cross-platform monitoring across mobile and desktop to access, track and report end-user experience.
- Provide insights into how new integrations in the application infrastructure affect performance indicators.
Core Metrics Measured by Application Performance Monitoring
- CPU Usage: APM monitoring tools measure how an application uses CPU and memory capacity to determine if they affect application performance.
- Request Rates: APM monitoring tools measure the volume of traffic an app receives to help reveal periods of inactivity and spikes in traffic.
- Application Uptime: APM monitoring tools monitor an app’s availability to end users and alert IT staff during periods of downtime.
- Error Rates: The metric indicates how often an error can occur in the application. APM monitoring tools work by tracking how often an application fails during usage.
- Response Times: The average response time (ART) is another metric APM monitoring tools measure to reveal how speed may affect the application performance.
Why Do Your Businesses Need APM Monitoring Tools?
Cuts off operational silos: APM monitoring tools help Operational silos are business operations or units that cannot easily interact with one another. The tools break down these silos by unifying visibility across the entire application infrastructure, which makes it easy for different teams to know what’s happening in the application.
Easy to meet end-user expectations: APM monitoring tools enable businesses to tackle performance issues with the application in critical situations that can avoid customers getting frustrated. The tools offer an alternative system that notifies key team members when there is a potential issue.
Businesses Resolve Issues Faster: Helps easily detect an issue within an application, facilitating quick resolutions.
Solutions Connect app performance with business analytics: The analytics help views how application performance affects some business areas. Enabling businesses can easily focus on critical areas that require urgent attention.