You can download the official Windows Retail ISO directly from Microsoft. The entire download process becomes a lot easier when we automate it using the Fido PowerShell script.
Fido is an open-source tool is designed by developers to work with the popular bootable USB creator tool Rufus.
You can run the script to download Windows 10 and Windows 8.1 ISO images easily running the Fido script from the Windows PowerShell window.
Before you run the Fido PowerShell script make sure of the following things:
- You require to launch Microsoft Internet Explorer at least once. Press Win+R and type explorer and press Enter. Internet Explorer will ask a few settings, choose default or custom settings, and close Internet Explorer.
- Ensure you have PowerShell version 3.0 or later installed. Generally, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 users do not have to do anything. Windows 7 users can download and update PowerShell from here. Fido will detect the unsupported version of PowerShell and redirect you to the download page of a new PowerShell version automatically.
How to Use Fido for downloading Windows ISO?
- Go to GitHub and download the Fido.ps1 file to your computer.
- Open the script in your browser and copy-paste to create your own script with Notepad++.
- Once the script is copied onto your computer, right-click it and select “Run with PowerShell” or Open a PowerShell window and open the script with drag and drop.
- After the “Please wait” the window will automatically close after a few seconds and opens a new one called Fido – Retail Windows ISO Downloader.
- To download the ISO of Windows 8.1 or Windows 10, choose what you want to download and click Continue. The tool will display different versions of Windows to choose from. Select the desired version and click Continue.
- You can select Windows 10 Home, Pro or Education. Select the language of your choice and finally the architecture ie x64 or x86.
- Press the download button, it will open a new tab in your browser and start downloading the ISO image you selected.
Note: Windows 10 LTSB ISO is not supported by Fido.